Personal Assistant Required: Flexibility Essential
- Job Description -
**It is recommended that you read all of this page before applying; all information is important and relevant to the job.
North Bransholme / Wawne area of Hull.
As soon as possible.
• Because of the extremely personal nature of this job, I will only be accepting female applicants.
• Due to insurance purposes, applicants must be over 25 years old.
£7.83 per hour (Wages are paid 4-weekly).
- ABOUT -
Personal assistant required, flexibility is essential. The job involves full personal care**, sleeping (both my home & away), driving / travelling (both in UK & abroad; including long-distance driving), social (e.g. going to pub / gigs / cinema / shop, etc), housework (vacuuming / washing-up, etc), helping with set-up at art demonstrations and exhibitions, as well as enabling me to attend meetings and other events (I am an artist), accompanying me on holiday & work-related travel, care of my pets (feeding, grooming, etc), secretarial (answering the phone / note-taking, etc), and occasional assistance with pain-relief (normally involves changing position / massage / giving oral meds, etc).
All applicants MUST...
• ... be willing and available to cover other Personal Assistants, sometimes at short notice (e.g. if others are off due to sickness). This will include working weekends & late nights.
• ... be able to drive, have a clean driver's licence, and be confident on motorways, in cities (e.g. London), and rural areas (e.g. country roads, hills, etc).
• ... be willing to drive a Volkswagen Transporter (it's a manual-drive small/medium-sized van, but only requires a regular car license).
• ... be ok with working with a smoker.
• ... have good social skills & be able to speak fluent English.
• ... be a good listener and able to follow verbal instructions.
• … be willing to have vaccinations. You are working in an environment with 2 vulnerable adults, so this is non-negotiable; in this profession, you will be eligible to receive relevant vaccines free of charge via your NHS doctor.
• ... be comfortable with all kinds of animals - both wild & domestic. I have 2 dogs, and my career as an animal artist/photographer means I am sometimes working closely with zoos, wildlife parks, rescue centres, farms, showing shows, etc; occasionally, I may also unintentionally rescue random wildlife haha!
• ... be comfortable with all kinds of people, of all abilities and ages. My travels take me to all kinds of places, from casual events at bike rallies, street markets, and comic-cons; to formal events at art galleries, veteran events, schools/colleges/universities, zoos, and museums.
• ... be ok with lifting heavy items (due to loading equipment into the van for travel, erecting marquee & tables, transporting disability equipment to hotels, etc). Please note that depending on the event and how demanding it will be, I will often arrange a volunteer to join us and assist where needed.
• … be willing to participate in fundraising activities, which may involve dressing in animal costumes and other silly antics. Although you are expected to take your role seriously (e.g. respecting my confidentiality, following instructions, etc), at the events I attend, you will see people from all-walks-of-life, of all generations and backgrounds, you will likely see things you have never seen before (from body-painted nudes, to cosplay, body modifications, and suspension); consequently, it is important that you are genuinely open-minded, non-judgemental, sociable, and have a good sense of humour.
• No previous experience in care required - I will train you my personal & preferred ways of doing things regardless of previous experience. It should be noted that, although there are aspects of care involved with this work, you are hired as a “Personal Assistant” rather than a “carer”; the difference being that I am fully capable of making my own decisions, I am not in any way restricted to a set routine, & you cannot make decisions on my behalf (especially those which would interfere with my personal choices / independence). You are present to assist me where possible (as and when needed) in living an independent life. Whilst at work, you are my bridge to independence, my “normalcy”, adventure, & the occasional crazy antics; you are essentially sharing my life, whilst helping me to live it how I want and to the full.
• Punctuality, reliability, trustworthiness, honesty, respectfulness, and a willingness to learn and improvise are ESSENTIAL. You will be expected to sign a confidentiality agreement if you get the job (including for the initial 3 month trial). Legally, this confidentiality agreement still stands (indefinitely) even after you have left my employment.
• You will need an "Enhanced DBS with barred list" check, but if you don't have this it can be arranged. You cannot start work until I receive this; the job centre can assist you in obtaining one, which will make hiring go more smoothly.
• Valid certification in manual handling in the workplace (of equipment/goods) is preferable. The job centre can help you with this.
• Valid certification in basic First Aid is required. The job centre can help you with this.
• My days can vary from very busy and adventurous (e.g. long walks in the middle of nowhere in search of wildlife, or going to a busy rock concert), to relaxed and doing nothing except watching movies / listening to music, and drawing. Some days you will have lots to do, others you may have hardly anything except the odd house chores, feeding the pets, and my personal care; consequently, you need to be comfortable with both scenarios. A love of cinema, music, and the outdoors is useful, as this means you will likely enjoy your job.
• When I am with close friends, I may sometimes expect you to take a step back and give me some private time; please be understanding and respectful of this. No matter how close I am with all my PAs, I like to have *me* time on occasion, as we all do.
• I live with my Grandmother, who may also require occasional assistance; such as making a cup of tea, or if we have an outing together, she may require pushing in her wheelchair and help getting in / out of my van.
• It should be noted that due to my work, sometimes I will be involved in high exposure activities (e.g. public events, media-related activities, etc), and because of the nature of your job, it is inevitable that at some point you may be photographed or filmed (either in the background or directly), and such captures can end up online, on television, or other forms of media. I am not always in control (or necessarily aware) of this activity; consequently, it is important that you feel comfortable with this.
• It is preferred that you have a basic understanding of technology; for example, I often prefer to contact my staff via texting, because it is easier for me. Sometimes I take part in short educational courses in which you will be expected to type notes. Also, you may sometimes be expected to take photographs or film me during outings (e.g. whilst I am painting or speaking at events) - if you are not confident in these areas, I am happy to teach you the basics, but you do at least need to know how to text and/or use Facebook Messenger.
- HOURS -
Please be aware that your adaptability is essential. All hours (including “regular”) are flexible and may change, swap days, or be added-to depending upon any events I am due to attend, or if another assistant is absent (e.g. due to unexpected sickness) you may be expected to cover or swap shifts with another PA. If I am due to attend a planned event with a different Personal Assistant, you will be offered alternative days to make up for any regular hours lost. If there is an instance where you are unable to swap to days offered, there is also the option to use your holiday allowance to make up any lost hours; however, good reason must be given for this, as this means other assistants will be required to take on the additional hours (on top of their own).
FLEXBILE HOURS - BACK-UP / BANK STAFF WANTED:
Hours will be assigned on an *as and when needed* basis, for the purposes of emergency and holiday cover. Your ability to work weekends and/or nights is especially important. Although regular hours can not be guaranteed for bank staff, you should know that I generally have a team of between 5 and 9 PAs; consequently, the likeliness I will require cover on a reasonably regular basis is quite high.
REGULAR HOURS WHICH ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ARE:
• Tuesday: 9.00am until 6.00pm (9 hours). [THIS POSITION IS FILLED]
• Friday night through to Saturday morning: 12.00am until 9.00am (9 hours). [THIS POSITION IS FILLED]
• Wednesday night through to Thursday morning: 12.00am until 9.00am - will become available (9 hours). [THIS POSITION IS FILLED]
*It is important that you are able to cover weekends, especially nights (e.g. for sick / holiday cover).
- OTHER INFORMATION -
If your application is accepted, I will contact you for an interview at the earliest convenience for both of us. For ease, I sometimes try to arrange multiple interviews for the same day. If your interview is successful, you will be contacted via telephone within 48 hours to offer you a trial position (average 3 months, subject to extension). If your trial is successful, you will be kept as a permanent employee. If you do not get the job, due to the number of applicants, I cannot guarantee you will hear any further correspondence.
**It should be noted that, if you do not get the job, that doesn’t necessarily mean you were unsuitable; from those applying, I not only have to work out who is able, but I also need to assess who I feel I will get along with most. If I choose someone else this time around, it doesn’t mean I won’t give you a chance next time. As you can understand, judging things like this in the space of an interview slot (or 3 month trial) can be extremely challenging. What I will say is, your honesty will gain my respect and put you in my favours during the selection process; lying, or exaggerating what you can realistically do, and then not following through, will not help you in the long-term.
**Just to clarify, for those who may not know: The term "full Personal Care" means care of an extremely personal nature. So, for example: washing/bathing, toileting, assisting getting in & out of bed, feminine hygiene, dressing, feeding, etc. You do not need any experience for this, just willingness to learn and try something new. Training will be given if you get the job.
**Note: My Personal Assistants were present in or behind the scenes of all of these images. I am truly grateful to all of my PAs; without them, I wouldn’t be able to do the awesome work I do, nor have such amazing adventures. To say they enable me to live a *normal* life feels almost offensive (to them) - it would be more accurate to say that because of them, I live an extraordinary life!
© Leanne Beetham / Lippy~Art. All Rights Reserved
All Content On This WebPage, including the "Lippy~Art" name, Is Copyright ©. 2008-present. Permissions To Reproduce Leanne Beetham's Artworks Are Granted Only To The "Association Of The Mouth & Foot Painting Artists" (AMFPA / MFPA / VDMFK).
No part of this website or associated pages with Lippy~Art / Leanne Beetham (e.g. official Lippy~Art Facebook, Flickr, & Twitter Pages) may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Leanne Beetham.